Legends identify the visualizations displayed in the iTool window. For example, a legend displayed in an iPlot window can include a description of each plot line in a plot. Or a legend can be displayed in an iSurface window to identify surfaces and contour levels displayed on those surfaces.
To insert a legend for a surface or contour:
- Select specific items to include in the legend, or click in an empty area of the iSurface window dataspace to select the dataspace and include all items in the legend.
- Select Insert ® New Legend.
To add to a legend:
- Select the visualization item or items to add to the legend.
- If there are multiple legends, add the desired legend to the selection by shift-clicking the legend border.
- Select Insert ® Legend Item.
Only a single legend item may exist for a given visualization. If you are inserting multiple visualization items into an existing legend, only legend items for those visualizations not already represented will be added to the legend.
Each legend entry consists of a sample and a label. For example, in Figure 6-1, the sample for the first entry is an unbroken line of thickness 1, and the label is Noisy Sine Plot. The sample for the second is a broken blue line of thickness 2, and the label is Clean Sine Plot.
To alter your legend's properties such as in the example shown previously, display the property sheet. To do this, double-click the border of the legend box.